Pennsylvania is one of the latest states that offers online casinos. A gaming board was created in 2004, and now there are more than ten casinos and racinos in Pennsylvania. Racino comes from the combination of casino and racing track.
In 2004, when the gaming board was created, the state granted 14 licenses to websites offering slot machines. In 2010 the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board approved other casino games and table games.
Below is a list of casinos and racetracks in Pennsylvania and a quick overview of each.
- Harrahs Philadelphia Casino & Racetrack - Harrahs Philadelphia Casino & Racetrack in Chester, PA offers slots, craps, video poker, blackjack, sic bo, roulette, baccarat, poker, and a race book. There is also a racetrack with live seasonal racing. There are several restaurants in the hotel - from an unbeatable steak house to casual dining, cafes and shops. Entertainment and shopping are also available on site.
- Penn National Hollywood Casino - The Penn National Hollywood Casino is in Grantville, PA and has 45,000 square feet of gaming space. It offers craps, blackjack, baccarat, roulette, three card poker, sic bo, four card poker, Ultimate Texas Hold'em, Spanish 21, and a race book. There is also a racetrack with thoroughbred racing throughout the year and several restaurants.
- Located in Farmington, Lady Luck Nemacolin- Woodlands Resort is in Nemacolin, PA. There are slot machines, video poker, blackjack, poker, craps, baccarat, and roulette. There are 318 hotel rooms in the complex. Unlike most casinos, before the playing at Lady Luck Nemacolin you must do a lot of things. You must be accommodated in the complex, use the hotel amenities for a fee or be a member of this casino.
- The Meadows - Meadows is in Washington, PA and offers slots, craps, blackjack, video slots, baccarat roulette, baccarat, and poker. There is also a racetrack with a race book and thoroughbred racing all year long. There is a dining area on site. The choice of dishes ranges from fast food to steakhouses. This casino also has bowling.
- Mohegan Sun Pocono - Mohegan Sun Pocono is in Wilkes Barr, PA and has a huge gambling space. The casino has video poker, craps, slot machines, roulette, blackjack, poker, Spanish 21, and big six wheel. It has 238 hotel rooms and a wide selection of restaurants. Harness racing is a betting option here all year long.
- Mount Airy Resort and Casino - Mount Airy Resort and Casino is located in Pocono Mountain, PA and the gambling space measures no less than 65,000 square feet. The casino offers slot machines, video poker, blackjack, dice, roulette, baccarat, poker, and Spanish 21. The hotel has 200 hotel rooms, restaurants, spa and golf course.
- Parx Casino. The Parx Casino in Bensalem, PA offers slot machines, video poker, blackjack, dice, roulette, baccarat, and poker. There is also a racetrack and dining options available.
- Presque Island Downs and Casino is a casino in Erie, PA that offers slots, video poker, blackjack, roulette, and Poker. This casino offers restaurants and seasonal horse racing.
- Rivers Casino - Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on the Ohio River, offers slot machines, video poker, blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker.
- Sands Casino Bethlehem Resort - Sands Casino Resort in Bethlehem, PA offers blackjack, video poker, slot machines, roulette, craps, baccarat, and poker.
- Sugar House Casino – This huge casino located in Philadelphia offers slot machines, craps, baccarat, roulette, blackjack, video poker, Ultimate Texas Hold ‘em, and Spanish 21. You’ll also find restaurants here.
- Valley Forge Convention Center Casino – Valley Forge Convention Center and Casinos is in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. The 33,000 square feet casino offers slots, video poker, blackjack, craps, baccarat, Spanish 21, three card poker, and Ultimate Texas Hold ‘em. To enter the casino, you must be a hotel guest, a casino member, or you can buy a gift card (conditions apply).
In Pennsylvania the residents can play the state-owned lottery or participate in the national Powerball or Mega Millions drawings. Other lottery games include Millionarire Raffle, Pick 2, Pick 3, Pick 4, Pick 5, Cash 4 Life, Cash 5, Match 6, Treasure Hunt, and Instant Games.
Is lottery available in Pennsylvania?
Yes, but it is state run. Games include Powerball, Millionaire Raffle, Mega Millions, Instant Games, Pick 2, Pick 3, Pick 4, Pick 5, Match 6, Cash 4 Life and Cash 5.
Who can own slot machines in PA?
If you live in PA, you can have slot machines that are only 25 years old or older.
Pennsylvania offers casino games in major cities in the state and is close enough to the large population of the east coast to attract players from other states. Pittsburgh casinos are close enough to West Virginia and Ohio to attract players from both states. If you are traveling to Pennsylvania and have time, plan to stop at one of these casinos. All of them are new as they have only been in operation since the 2000s.
Even though officials announced on July 15, 2019 the launch of PA online casinos, the regulator said online sports betting sites could begin testing their business in two or three weeks.
Most PA casinos have already acquired an online gambling certificate, sports betting license, or both. PlaySugarHouse, Parx, and Hollywood casinos are among the licensed online casinos in PA that are already in operation. The PA online gambling scene is expected to be completed by Stadium Casino, Harrah’s Philadelphia, Valley Forge, Mohegan Sun Pocono, MGM. PlaySugarHouse, BetRivers, FoxBet, Parx, FanDuel, DraftKings online sportsbooks have also launched in Pennsylvania.
In 2004, Pennsylvania was one of the last to join the party, creating its own gambling board.
What is the current legal situation of online gambling in Pennsylvania?
The Pennsylvania Congress has recently passed HB 271. This is the foundation of legal online gaming, detailing what residents and operators of online casinos are allowed to do when providing iGaming services.
As we said, HB 271 is a comprehensive law. However, before it was officially ratified by the Congress, many changes were made to refine it. In addition to online gambling, HB 271 also legalizes the following:
- Video game terminals (VGT) at truck stops
- Internet lottery
- Construction of up to 10 casinos of category 4
- Sports betting
Read on for more information about gambling in Pennsylvania!
What PA online casinos are popular?
Bovada, Vegas and Red Dog Casino rank first among the preferences of online betting enthusiasts in Pennsylvania.
Are Pennsylvania online casinos safe?
You are 100% safe in PA regulated online casinos. First, the law ensures that all operating casinos use the latest security features.
It is a fact that a licensed casino is the safest casino because it is constantly checked for violations. Currently all legal Pennsylvania casinos are licensed by the Pennsylvania Gambling Regulatory Authority, meaning they can be trusted.
If you have any doubts about providing your information, you should be aware that your data is protected with the latest encryption levels to prevent data hacking.
In addition, online betting sites regulated in Pennsylvania are required by law to store players' money in separate bank accounts. So, if the online casino platform system is hacked (which is almost impossible), hackers will still not have access to your money. This means your money is always safe and you can exchange it at any time.
The best is that the payment methods you can find in all regulated PA online casinos also adhere to international leakage security standards to ensure safe financial transactions.
Which casinos and racetracks attract the most visitors?
If you still prefer to gamble in PA the old fashioned way, it's best to visit one of the following locations: Harrah’s, The Meadows, Hollywood, Lady Luck Nemacolin, Mohegan Sun Pocono, Parx Casino, Mount Air Resort & Casino, Presque Isle Downs, Rivers Casino, Sugar House Casino and Valley Forge Convention Center.
Do you need to live in Pennsylvania to play online in PA online casinos?
No, no, but physically, you should still be there. To play in PA online casinos you first need to download software using the latest geolocation technology.
Are there any special requirements for playing at online casinos in Pennsylvania?
Yes, there is a fairly rigorous three-step identity verification process. This includes verifying your location, age and social security number.
What about age restrictions?
You are not allowed to visit a casino or classic poker room unless you are at least 21 years old. Bingo, lotteries, horse and dog racing are prohibited for players under the age of 21.
What is the future of online gambling in Pennsylvania?
As one of the last states to approve legal and regulated online games, Pennsylvania has taken a step that many residents considered impossible.
HB 271 has been passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives, but their taxes still matter. The state currently imposes a 54% tax rate on every online casino operating in Pennsylvania and 55% tax rate on slot machines. These high taxes are considered exorbitant, especially when compared to New Jersey where the tax rate is only 15% of the gaming revenue.
The good news is that residents of PA will have access to a range of online game sites, including those outside the state. It has always been a win, at least for local players, right?
How to get a Pennsylvania Casino license
Because online casinos can be operated in Pennsylvania, many other casinos cannot wait to get to the PS gambling market. On the other hand, opening an online casino is not easy because protocols have to be implemented. Here are some quick facts you should understand about what operators need to consider when getting PA gaming licenses.
- Playing online slots, poker, and table games is legal.
- During the first 90 days of licensing, the casinos can apply for common licenses for the three segments for $ 10 million.
- After a 90-day period, the casinos may require a separate license, valued at $ 4 million per segment.
- After 120 days, all unused licenses may be purchased by a qualified organization other than a PA accredited brick and mortar casino. Again, the price per segment is capped at $ 4 million.
- Licenses from major vendors cost $ 1 million.
- Poker and online games are set at a rate of 14% for game earnings and an additional 2% for local share assessment. The tax rate for playing on slot machines is quite high. It is currently limited to 52% and another 2% is also for local sharing.
In addition, operators must always comply with the standards and regulations concerning the players’ safety.
What are the safest banking options for online gambling in Pennsylvania?
The first PA online casinos are already in operation, and these casinos offer various payment methods that you can deposit to your real money account. You will find that almost all the PA online casinos offer similar payment methods. Here you will find an overview of all popular payment methods.
Below is a brief overview of the most reliable deposit methods available at most Pennsylvania online casinos.
- E-wallets: PayPal, Neteller, Skrill.
- Instant money transfer from account; ACH, and online payment.
- Debit cards, credit cards, and prepaid cards
- Card transactions: MasterCard, Maestro, Discover, Visa and American Express credit and debit cards.
- Many online casinos also offer branded prepaid cards on their website. For this reason, it is not always possible to withdraw money from a prepaid card.
However, please note that not all of these deposit methods can be used by players to withdraw winnings. To withdraw money, you are usually limited to the following methods.
- VIP transfer
- Bank transfer
Electronic checks, PayPal and ACH are extremely practical among all the payment methods mentioned. In contrast to deposits that are all processed immediately in all payment options, there is a slight delay in withdrawing money.
Additionally, the withdrawal processing speed usually varies from payment options to payment options. E-wallets are usually the fastest when withdrawing money on the same day or up to 48 hours. However, transfers via ACH and eCheck are usually quite slow. Processing speed may be approximately 7 working days.
When it comes to the fees of transactions, casinos usually don't charge for deposits and withdrawals, but e-wallets like Neteller and Skrill can still charge you. However, you should familiarize yourself with the platform's general terms and conditions or contact support for more information on transaction fees.
Another important point is that e-wallets can only be used to withdraw money if they were previously used to deposit into your account.
Real cash transactions
If you want to keep your banking transactions off the online world, you'll be happy to know that you can also send money through special kiosks. All this is possible with a PayNearMe deposit asking you to go to a store like 7-eleven, CVS and Family Dollar.
Another option that you can use to deposit and withdraw money is Cash in Casinos. If you're near a land-based casino, just visit the cashier's cage and you can transfer money to your account to play for real money. The advantage of using a cash cage is that you are not tied to the maximum transaction limit.
What is the influence of online gambling in Pennsylvania?
Online gambling is an important source of income and we are confident that it will bring significant revenue in the coming years. Taking the example of its neighboring state, New Jersey, because its online casinos are considered legal, Pellsylvania could generate revenue of up to 1 billion dollars. Given the fact that many casino operators are waiting for licenses, it is not surprising that Pennsylvania’s revenue has more than 12 figures when it comes to playing online.
Online casinos not only generate revenue, but also create new job opportunities. If online casinos continue to operate in Pennsylvania, they will significantly reduce the government's unemployment rate.
On the other hand, players who participate in online jackpots and lotteries will eventually receive a life-changing reward. If Lady Luck knocks on your door, you can earn millions of dollars by surfing the internet, playing online games or buying lottery tickets.
The future of the Keystone state and its online gaming services is promising. Thanks to advanced technologies, games will certainly become more attractive to residents, which will lead to increased tax revenue for the state.